Thursday 13 August 2015

On Being Left-Handed...

The 13th August marks the celebration of being a left-hander. In grade 11, my final Toastmasters speech was about being left-handed. In school when your dedicated efforts to neat work is misunderstood because your work looks like a pack of tadpoles that has had an all night binge on ink, you realise you are different from others.

Being a left-hander leads to many awkward moments that you wish you could conjure up an immediate teleportation ability. Evident clumsiness is one of the very reasons why I want to have this supernatural power. Being left-handed means that our brains are wired differently and performing the most simple of tasks is a challenge for a left-hander. 

For example, tripping, spilling and walking into objects are a daily occurrence for me. I spill drinks, I ride into poles and trip over my own feet. People stare and I try to reason with myself that people do enjoy clowns. 

On the positive side, many famous people are left-handed. The likes of Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, Leonardo da Vinci, Jimi Hendrix and Ned Flanders share this rare experience of living life from the left.


No comments:

Post a Comment